Sunday’s are my days to prepare for the week. I usually cook my meat for the week to save time and anything else that would take a while to cook. At the grocery store, I picked up something different for a change…I bought some mustard greens. I do get tired of eating the same thing every week. Mustard greens are nutritious and are a good alternative to the spinach that I usually eat. This is how I prepared the greens: (I did not follow the traditional, fatten you up preparation and slow cooking method. Mainly because I did not want to wait that long to eat them)
1. Wash the greens….they can have a lot of dirt on them so you have to wash them really good.
2. Cut them from the stems because I did not cook the greens that long so the stem would have been hard.
3. Tear them, or cut them a little.
4. Chop green peppers, onions and add olive oil to a non-stick pan…mix together and saute and also add low-sodium turkey bacon for flavor. (If you like vegetable or chicken broth in your greens…get the low sodium kind). You will be surprised at how much sodium we eat in a day! No wonder we (especially black folk) have high blood pressure and cholesterol…it is frightening).
5. While the peppers and onions are sauteeing, add greens to the steamer for a few minutes. Then take the greens and place them in the pan. Mix together and voila…there you have it. I also added vinegar for some flavor. They cooked in the`pot for abot 20 minutes or a`little less.
For dinner I made these along with baked chicken breasts and butter beans. A tasty healthy meal.
Breakfast (for me): Protein Pumped Pancakes and bannana (395 calories)
- 1 scoop of whey protein
- 1 egg
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Truvia or Succant to taste
Leave a Reply